We have all of the amazing health benefits of regular exercising and practicing yoga. These activities immensely contribute to the improvement of our holistic health. Cardio-vascular problems are quite common in both the genders. Therefore it is of utmost importance to maintain such a lifestyle that keeps your body system healthily functioning.
The veins of your body must remain elastic with fine working valves to ensure proper blood circulation through the body. Unhealthy veins can cause various health problems in the long run. Let us quickly tell you the common problematic conditions that can develop due to damaged veins.
- Varicose veins- These are the swollen bulging veins that mostly appear on the lower body (thighs and lower legs) as a result of constant heavy pressure. The pooling of blood inside these veins causes too much pain, itchiness and soreness.
- Spider veins- These are similar to varicose veins. Spider veins are the thin veins near the skin surface that get inflamed. These veins appear slightly raised above the skin surface and are usually seen on face, arms and thighs.
- Deep vein thrombosis- It is a condition in which blood clot(s) forms inside the veins. Hence, it is quite a painful and potentially complicated condition. There may arise a condition of emergency if the blood clot detaches from vein walls and enters into the bloodstream.
Here are the top exercises and yoga poses to keep the veins healthy and elastic:
- Regular Walks- A sedentary lifestyle involving long sitting or standing hours is one of the biggest risk factors for venous insufficiency and other vascular problems. A 30-minute walk everyday can be quite effective in eliminating this risk. Walking is the simplest low-intensity exercise you can do for healthier veins. Walking helps contract and relax the muscles in the calves and the lower body and thus facilitates proper blood circulation in the legs. You can either take a 30-40 minute stroll in the park, or walk for 5 minutes after every 30 minutes of sitting or standing.
- Bicycling- Cycling is yet another low-intensity exercise that is highly beneficial for your vein health. It strengthens the muscles in the calves and helps in pumping the blood upwards towards the heart. In this manner, bicycling helps keep the leg muscles healthy and also ensures proper blood circulation in the lower body. You can go for a ride, exercise using a stationary bicycle or even do bicycle kicks to stimulate the calf muscles.
- Swimming- Swimming is one exercise that is beneficial for almost the entire body and people belonging to any age group can enjoy its advantages. It provides considerable protection to the joints, muscles and veins against any kind of stress or injury. It engages the muscles in the abdomen, shoulders, legs and arms and helps keep them healthy. Swimming also enhances the blood circulation throughout the body. It acts like cardio and helps keep the heart and the veins healthy.
- Leg Lifts- Stretching and lifting the legs can be quite effective in assisting proper blood flow through the veins in the legs. All you need to do is lie on a mat, lift one of your legs at a 90 degree angle, maintain the posture for a few seconds and then repeat the process with the other leg. This stretches the hamstring and the quad and strengthens the muscles in the legs. It also improves blood circulation in the legs and alleviates the symptoms of vascular problems.
Best Yoga Poses to prevent varicose veins and spider veins
- Fish Pose (Matsyasana)- Matsyasana or Fish Pose is one of the most effective yoga poses for healthy veins. It stretches muscles in several parts of the body. Most importantly, it stretches the legs and the lower body and helps regulate proper flow of blood throughout the body. If you are already dealing with the pain and soreness of varicose veins or spider veins, the Fish Pose can be a great way to alleviate the stress and cramps in the legs.
- Boat Pose (Naukasana)- Naukasana is yet another amazing yoga asana for strengthening the vascular system. It is particularly helpful for the veins in the legs since it involves leg elevation. It facilitates proper upward flow of blood towards the heart and strengthens the muscles and veins in the legs.
- Leg up the wall (Viparita karani)- In this yoga pose, you need to elevate your legs at a 90 degree angle against the wall. This helps stimulate optimal blood circulation in the legs. It releases the pressure in the legs and helps alleviate the symptoms of venous insufficiency. Moreover, it also helps flush toxins out of the body and prevents any damage to the vein valves and walls.
- Wind relieving posture (Pawanmuktasana)- It is one of the most effective yoga poses to prevent thrombosis (blood clotting) in the veins of the legs. If you are struggling with cramping and throbbing pain in the legs, Pawanmuktasana can help enhance blood flow and relieve these discomforts. Moreover, it also strengthens the muscles and joints in the knees and hips and aids the optimal functioning of the blood vessels in these regions.
Incorporating these physical exercises and yoga asanas will prove to enhance your overall health. But in some cases, especially with the history of vascular conditions (varicose veins, spider veins, etc) there is still a possibility that a person might experience the similar condition sooner or later.
What to do when you experience the symptoms of damaged veins?
Visiting a specialist doctor is the right thing to do when you notice dark colored bulging veins that cause pain and discomforts. The doctor recommends the best suited treatment after diagnosing the condition thoroughly. Not completing the treatment course or improper medications often lead to venous condition resurfacing more severely.
Is there any permanent treatment?
Fortunately, yes, the modern laser treatment has made it possible to get rid of damaged veins in just one day. Laser treatment is mostly used for varicose veins and spider veins. The procedure just takes up a few minutes and involves no cuts, incisions or bleeding.
Laser treatment for varicose and spider veins is an absolutely painless procedure that can cure these conditions permanently. The surgery is 100% safe and there is no risk of intraoperative or postoperative complications. It offers a speedy and smooth recovery and you can get back to your routine activities in less than a week.
A number of healthcare providers offer this treatment nowadays but it is very important to choose the right hospital and doctor for your treatment so that no complications arise.
One healthcare provider that you can come in contact with for an absolutely seamless treatment experience is Pristyn Care. They are equipped with state-of-the art technologies and have a great track record in treating patients with vein problems. You can easily consult one of their specialists and undergo the surgery at a nearby Pristyn Care partner hospital.
Healthy veins provide the core strength to various organs of your body. Thus neglecting the early signs of unhealthy veins can put you at much discomfort. Therefore, if you notice the symptoms of any venous problems, make sure that you seek medical advice at the earliest. In addition to proper medical treatment, also adopt an active lifestyle to keep your veins healthy and prevent any further complications.